Thursday, February 24, 2011

Princess parenting (Yes, this is actually a term. I'm rolling my eyes right now.)

Hello? Life balance. It's you I'm looking for..... (Sung in lovely, smooth Lionel Ritchie tune).

As we all find, I'm discovering that I need more time. I need time to make money. Time to write my blogs. Time to clean the house. Time to exercise. Time to eat. Time to sleep (ha!). Etc. Etc.

Not that I'm complaining. I chose my life. And I love it. (Okay... maybe I'm complaining a little bit... but I'm tired today. And hungry. And I have to pee. So I'm a little bit cranky, okay?) Anyway. This is why my blog may not be as updated as often as I'd like.

So, in lieu of a post today... here's an "interesting" (I don't know how else to describe it) article for Moms of girls (or boys) who are all about the princess thing. Not sure I buy into what the author's selling here.

What's your take? How do you feel? I say... let them eat pink cake. Really. What harm can it be doing?


4 comments:

  1. I read this article the other day and rolled my eyes too. I see where she's coming from, but really, kids are just pretending and having fun with this stuff. There is a whole lot more that goes into their ideals and the ways they perceive themselves than just the toys they play with. However, I don’t have a daughter and can only give an opinion having grown up as a woman. Much different than trying to raise one. Although, having sons, it’s really opened my eyes to the pressures society puts on boys and men. It’s a tough world out there for boys, especially ones like my son who don’t fit into the rough and tumble image of a “proper” boy.
    My oldest son is very into princesses (there’s a whole other blog for you LOL), and I am careful to make sure we talk about what it means to be beautiful and all the different kinds of beauty there are. I ask him questions about why he thinks a particular princess is especially beautiful (he always says their dress), but since they are all thin, voluptuous etc. I make sure to point out other women in magazines and on tv that don’t fit the same mould and tell him why I think they are beautiful (great smile, beautiful eyes, great clothes, fun personality) etc. He seems to be pretty balanced and doesn’t (yet) comment about anyone’s appearance so I don’t worry about him growing up lusting only after Pamela Anderson types as I hope he will be able to appreciate a more realistic idea of beauty.
    I really think that’s all we can do. We’re never going to get rid of Disney (nor do I think we should). We’ll never get rid of Bratz dolls or Barbies. We can only teach our kids to be critical of the messages these companies are sending them and the need for them to form their own opinions. Armor up kids, it’s a tough world out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous 1 again. I wanted to add that I do HATE that Disney always shows the redhead as the bad boy. And they always have massive amounts of freckles and buck teeth. Drives me nuts. I’ll have to have a good long talk with m littlest carrot top about his image I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will never read that book "Cinderella ate my Daughter". I think it's worthy of some eye rolling for sure. I will of course let my daughter wear pink and princess costumes should she feel so inclined to. I totally agree it's a form of imagination that is important in children's play.

    Will I defend her right to wear pink and princess garb - darn right I will. But I will be sensible about it. Olivia wants to wear a dress and pretend to go to a ball in a pumpkin - yes she may do that. Olivia wants to live with 7 dwarves in a cottage and clean for them - well there, there I might not be so supportive ;)
    CT

    ReplyDelete